[LUG] creating packages

I'm trying to update some machines with some home grown software. I've not
created packages before. They are Ubuntu machines, so .deb. Actually making
the .deb package doesn't seem that difficult.

Any thoughts on the best way of handling modifications to existing config files?
eg. you might want to edit a single line in /etc/modprobe.d/options without
losing modifications to the rest of the file.

Does anyone have experience with this, or know any good tools to use? I need
automated updates, and I mustn't break existing configurations.

Thoughts welcome.

Dave Berkeley