Re: [LUG] forum?

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:59:36 +0000
Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > Isn't there an existing forum somewhere that can be re-branded?
> >
> So I guess if one of us was to setup an unofficial DCGLUG forum and
> moderate it ourselves would that be okay?

I don't determine what is official and what is non-official DCGLUG, I
just determine what I can afford to maintain on the existing DCGLUG
website.

As I suggested, an existing forum that can be sub-divided and
re-branded would be best as they will have automated processes to sift
out quite a lot of rubbish that a new site would have to devise from
scratch. Talk about re-inventing the wheel!

> I do see your point though to be workable I guess it would need
> dedicated moderators who could make the time to block things like Spam etc.

It is a LOT of work, even with automation. Spammers actions may be
stupid but spammers themselves are always devising automated ways to
beat the automated methods of protecting various web components from
their trash. That's without doing any moderation.

Why is it that many a Google search gets to a forum question without an
answer? Could it be that people don't have time to write answers
because they are busy moderating?

I would have thought that a subsection on something like
http://www.linuxquestions.org/ would be the only reasonable forum for
DCGLUG. (I'm just speculating here, I've no idea if that particular
forum supports subsections etc.)

--

Neil Williams