Re: [LUG] Acer aspire one. alternative linux distros.

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 23:30 +0000, Ray Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 20:08 +0000, Kelly Jones wrote:
> > My partner has one and my advice would be to install Ubuntu, we
> > quickly ran into dependency problems with the included OS.
> >

> Sounds good. I have been more inclined to go down the ubuntu route.
> I am worried about sdhc card support though. I have read there are
> problems with reading cards after resume and even of corruption.
>
> I am getting the hard drive version so don't have to worry about space
> so much. I have installed intrepid and fedora to usb to try them out
> before so no problems about external cd drives either.

I got mine just after Christmas. I fairly quickly installed Ubuntu off a
live USB key.

There is a good page listing tweaks you probably want to make here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

>>From that page I have done the following:
* Compiled the wireless driver (it doesn't work out of the box on
Intrepid)
* Installed the scripts to enable the fan control (otherwise it's always
on)
* Added the workaround to make the sound output work after a sleep

I didn't really have any problems. The instructions on the page were
pretty good, although I tweaked the config for the fan because it didn't
seem to come on as much as it did under Linplus. Partitioning the disk
worked fine and Linplus still boots (handy sometimes because it really
does boot very quickly and the wireless reconnects faster when coming
out of sleep)

The only thing I'm left with is that gnome-power-manager seems to hang
for a while sometimes. Apparently there might be a workaround which I'll
probably try when I get round to it. It's not causing me much pain
though. I only really notice when I try to shutdown and Gnome tells me
that it's hung and asks if I wait to wait or logout regardless.

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.