[LUG] Transfering slides to digital

Hi

for a very long time I've been wanting to transfer 100's of slides my
father took in the 60's onto a PC. I looked at an HP scanner which
claimed to do this, but turned out to be a cruddy slide holder which one
scanned on a flatbed scanner.

I noticed places, like The Guardian tech pages, advertising special
gizmos for doing this. Of course these said PC or Mac only. Then the
other day I came across a similar gizmo that transferred the slide
either to an SD card or to its' own memory.

I bought this, at worst I can transfer from an SD card. However it turns
out that the gizmos internal memory is a standard USB mass storage
device and is thus completely compatable with linux.

I now wonder if this is the case with all of these devices? Does anyone
know? Although the one I bought costs around the same as the other
similar devices it is only available in the US (delivered in 4 days!)
and thus needs a transformer (which I already owned luckily).

The device I bought is an Imagelabs Instant Slide Copier. Ordered from
ThinkGeek (who have a fab catalogue of mostly useless gadgets - like a
doormat with "There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1" and a t-shirt that lights
up when within range of an unsecured wifi hub, at rather high prices).

Anyone have any experience with these devices?

Simon