Re: [LUG] Alternatives to MS

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM, Henry Bremridge wrote:
> - City of Washington DC with 38,000 terminals uses googledocs instead of MS office

But GoogleDocs, as far as I know, is not open source. It uses an open
standard, but so does/will do MS Office 2007. In general, I wouldn't
mention Microsoft too much (if at all): it will come across as if you
just have a grudge against them, while they are far from the only
producers of proprietary software.

> - Netherlands ("OpenSource as a part of the Software Strategy" in which Government
> Institutions are obliged to explain why they need to use proprietary solution)

More on that (in English) here: http://appz.ez.nl/publicaties/pdfs/07ET15.pdf

The article has an appendix with some advantages and disadvantages of
open source and open standards. I think it's good to be aware of the
disadvantages too. An advantage that you should definitely mention is
that open standards (and, to lesser extent, open source) will cause
considerably fewer problems in the event of the software producer
going bust.

Martijn.