Re: [LUG] Recovering Files from a Windows Formatted Disk

Hi All

On 8 Jan 2009, at 16:20, Julian Hall wrote:

> Neil Stone wrote:
>> Brown Richard wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys
>>>
>>> I hope all is well.
>>>
>>> I have a friend who took their pc to a repair place. Unfortunately
>>> the
>>> repair was botched and instead of repairing they simply formatted
>>> the
>>> whole drive.
>>>
>>> I have looked on the net and have found the dd command to be my
>>> friend. What I want to do is to recover all data from the formatted
>>> drive, so it has been suggested I use:
>>> dd bs=512 if=/dev/rXX# of=/some_dir/foo.dmg conv=noerror,sync
>>> Basically I just want to check is that correct please?
>>> Thanks for the help.
>>> Rich
>>>

>> If the drive has been formatted you don't want to use anything other
>> than a data recovery service..
>>
>> If this bodge was done by a company, they should be paying for this
>> service.. That is, after all, what PII is there to cover..
>>

> There is software available for the home user to do this, but in this
> case I'd be inclined to agree with Neil.  What they screwed up they
> have
> a legal duty to fix.
>
> In the meantime I strongly suggest the drive be left alone with no
> further write operations done to it until all data recovery attempts
> have been completed.  Any further writes reduce the chances of a full
> recovery.

Thanks for all the replies. Unfortunately we can't go back to the
company, they went bust. What actually happened, is that there were
two drives on the second drive lay all this guys photos. He assumed
that the shop would not format the second drive, in fact he didn't
want him to format and reinstall the first drive but when he did he
thought the second drive would be safe. It wasn't and now a couple of
years later he is hoping I might be able to help. There has hardly
been any data written to the drive and he has some important family
photos he hopes to recover, so any help would be hugely helpful. The
drive is formatted for xp.

Thanks

Rich