Re: [LUG] viglen mpc

2009/1/9 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I've just tried to upgrade to 8.04LTS and its gone pear shaped*.
> I now have a package gsfonts that I cant remove or reinstall and any dpkg
> command says it cant do anything because that package is so badly corrupted -
> any ideas how to get rid of it/replace it?

What release was it running previously?
How did you start the upgrade?

Can you paste exactly what the error is when you:-

sudo apt-get remove --purge gsfonts
sudo apt-get install --reinstall gsfonts

> * my last three upgrades have all gone pear shaped on the ubuntu family -
> anyone else have this problem?

Not I. I have upgraded many machines and rarely get issues.

>> > 2a) should I make a swap sector?
>>
>> Any reason why you wouldn't?
> I was wondering why they didnt set one up at the start!

Mine has one.

I believe the original ones had a 40G drives, so had a 1G swap part
(hda5) and the rest was root fs (hda1). Later they moved to 80G drives
but for some reason left / as 40G and the rest of the space was
mounted as /scratch. On mine I removed the scratch partition and
dynamically resized the root partition up so now mine looks like
this:-

Disk /dev/sda: 80.0 GB, 80026361856 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 9729 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sda1               1        9605    77152131   83  Linux
/dev/sda2            9606        9729      996030    5  Extended
/dev/sda5            9606        9729      995998+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

You might want to check the fstab to see if there really is a swap
part defined. It could be that the fstab mentions /dev/hda5, but the
kernel now uses /dev/sda5?

Cheers,
Al.