Re: [LUG] The teacher / Linux does not exist story

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> couple of extra articles that give some background to the story. Not quite sure
> what the truth is
>
> http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/breaking_local.html

> Now, Starks says he regrets the whole incident. "I don't think I've ever committed
> one act       that made me feel like such a schmuck," he said in a phone interview
> with the                    American-Statesman today.
>

> "Starks says he has spoken with the teacher twice since his Monday post and that
> "Karen" was      crying when they spoke. What she failed to mention in her initial
> e-mail, he says, is that she   gave the Linux discs back to the student and was
> more concerned that there might be              pornography or other suspect
> material on the discs than about a non-Windows operating system   being introduced
> in the classroom."
>
> "Nevertheless, there's a bit of a silver lining in the story of how an angry
> e-mail could rile the entire Linux world: on Saturday, Starks says, he has been
> invited to install the Linux       operating system on Karen's home computer. "
>
> End quote
>
> http://www.austin360.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/digitalsavant/entries/2008/12/11/aisd_director_o.html?cxntfid=blogs_digital_savant

> Of the district's 36,000 computers, two-thirds of them run Windows. However, these
> computers also run Open Office, Google Earth, Google Apps, Firefox and many other
> free software, much of it open-source. In addition, the district has 100 Linux
> servers and a lot of its infrastructure runs on that platform, Salada told the
> American-Statesman.
>
> "We pretty much look at what the best product is to get the job done and we're
> very price-sensitive as well," Salada said.
>
> Salada said that although AISD would love for the whole situation to blow over,
> they aren't making a concerted effort to identify the teacher, identified only
> online as "Karen," or to discipline her. In fact, Salada says he understands the
> teacher making sure inappropriate content wasn't being brought into the classroom.
> "She was really doing her job," he said, "I think where this thing melted down was
> in the interchange (online)."
>
> End Quote

So after all that it ended well.  To be honest I didn't think the idea
of sending a hate xmas card to the teacher or school involved would make
the Free Software community look very good at all.  Last thing we want
is to get bad publicity about Linux, Microsoft do enough of that for us
already.

Technically though reading the quote above, have I missed something?
Google Earth & Google Apps are now GPL'd?

Rob