Re: [LUG] OpenOffice.org Base Tutorials?

On Saturday 29 November 2008 20:17, Neil Winchurst wrote:

> Some training sounds a very good idea, but what program would we use?
> The whole point about a program like Paradox is that everything is in
> one program. So called monolithic. As far as I know there is nothing
> like this ready in Linux.
I'm not talking truly monolithic here but I've been playing with netbeans a
bit lately and it has a DB manager part as well - so I can code and mess with
the dbs without seven hundred and fifty clicks about various screens.
One thing I hope to do is some deep Ajax/php dbstuff to do things like wot I
used to in Access - ie rapidly create front ends for real database backends
(Access could do ODBC connections to real dbs last time I played)
If MS/Adobe hadnt killed javascript development you could easily make and
Access/Paradox type RAD that works in a web browser with one
scripting/programming language. Probably still could if someone would stick
GPL serverside javascript on apache.
Tom te tom te tom