Re: [LUG] Three mobile Internet

Shaun Orchard wrote:
> 2008/11/23 Grant Sewell <dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:dcglug@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>
>

>     Well, when I enquired in the store in Truro today, the young lady
>     I was
>     talking to said that I could definitely use it for email and other
>     things, and that 1GB was "more than enough for mobile phone usage but
>     may be used up quicker if I used the phone as a modem for a laptop".
>     Since I specifically inquired as to the ability to run things like
>     "remote-desktop" over the connection and was assured that I could,
>     then
>     I will not be a happy bunny if it turns out that I can't use anything
>     other than :80 and :443 (although :443 would still allow me to have my
>     ssh connection, so I could still have my emails working fine! :D)
>
>     Grant.
>
> Having just checked the 3 site, I notice they have 4 addons under the
> "Internet and Email" section. Did you add "Internet Max" (1GB, £5) or
> the broadband one (1GB, £10)
>
> I'm wondering if the lady in the shop *may* have been thinking of the
> broadband addon, which does let you do pretty much anything you want
>
> You say that 443 would be fine for you, bear in mind that 3 may run it
> through a proxy (so any SSH connection isn't going to stay up for
> long). This is assuming you've bought the cheaper addon and aren't
> using the "3internet" access point to connect.
>
> Shaun

Hi all,

I did indeed add the "Internet Max" add-on, and wish I hadn't.  I phoned
up the customer services people (in India) about why on "My 3" it wasn't
showing my data usage allowance even though it was showing the Internet
Max add-on had been added on.  The customer services guy wasn't able to
tell me, but did say that it was showing that the add-on was active and
that my Internet traffic was going against it and not being charged at
the usual rate... after a bit of a chat I established that they do have
alternative add-ons that aren't advertised.

For £5/month you can have the "Internet Max" add-on which gives you 1GB
or port-restricted data (not including email, but be warned that they
restrict the ports on that too - email from the handset is free).
For £5/month you can have the "XSeries Silver" add-on which gives you
1GB of non-port-restricted data (not including email - email from the
handset is free).

Given the choice, which do you think I should go for? :p  Alas, I can't
(so they say) change my add-on yet... so Dec 23rd I'll be changing it to
the XSeries Silver add-on.

*Grant rolls his eyes*

Grant.