[LUG] Configure problem

Usually, using Kubuntu, I don't go through the configure, make, make
install r1gmarole. However yesterday I did try to install a program in
that way.

In configure I got an error message ...

<snip>

checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.
configure: error: ./configure failed for main

<snip>

I did look at the log, but could not fathom out the problem. And, yes,
GCC is installed. I could not understand the reference to 'main' either.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Neil Winchurst