Re: [LUG] maplin laptop

Julian Hall wrote:
> Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
>
>> The source code link is an IP address, which is a bad sign. There's also
>> apparently no way to upgrade or reinstall the OS, so you're stuck with
>> whatever brain-damaged excuse for a distribution they choose to give you
>> (with, presumably, little hope for security updates).
>>
> Since it has USB ports then surely you can use an external drive to
> install whatever you want, or a network install.  I certainly wouldn't
> say you're stuck with anything.  The limiting factor will be finding
> drivers/modules that will run the installed hardware.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian
That depends. If the OS is stored on a form of ROM, then no. But, if the
system supports booting from USB then there's no reason you couldn't try
installing an alternative OS to an external storage device (pendrive
perhaps). Being a MIPS system, you wouldn't necessarily be able to use
just any-old distro either.

Grant.