Re: [LUG] vista cost you two hours a week

Benjamin M. A'Lee wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:27:42PM +0000, Dave Foxcroft wrote:
>> It would be interesting to see just how much *nix code is buried deep
>> within Vista!
>
> I seem to recall they were (perfectly legally) using the TCP/IP stack
> from one of the BSDs (probably OpenBSD) a while back. I don't know if
> they still do, or if there's any more BSD code in there.

I seem to recall the IP stack got replaced. I believe some of the TCP
related tools are still BSD licensed code, but they are not exactly
core, and not very good compared to the GNU/Linux equivalents.

It isn't so much the freedom, as the act of copying, reusing and
sharing, that makes the difference, the freedom just makes that possible.

You see a similar thing in the old UNIX kernels, where code
contributions were shared, but it was slow and encumbered process, not
least as SCO showed, the copyright situation was remarkably involved. I
know HP were licensing NFS code from SUN at one point, because each
release they would put the same bugs back in (sigh).