Re: [LUG] resurrection day

On Friday 21 November 2008 08:56, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 08:40:01 +0000
>
> Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have a couple of old working motherboards (Duron 800 +256M not sure
> > about the other cpu but 128M) I have a case with a non functioning
> > power supply. I hate to chuck the motherboards and thought that maybe
> > other LUGers might have 'matching eqpt.
>
> My problem is that I have all the same equipment and the same broken
> equipment - it seems to be the power supplies that are the limiting
> factor. Finding AT power supplies is hard.
>
> There might be complete computers standing around in various companies
> etc.
>
> > Does anyone fancy a resurrection day where we try and put odd bits of
> > hardware together to make working machines?
>
> All I need is a power supply to resurrect my Pentium 1 90MHz.
http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/569891/art/advance/atx-5000-pc-power-supply.html
£12 dont seem too bad...

> > These boards would make usable PC's, fantastic thin++ clients for
> > Linux but only bulimic clients for windows....
>
> Do you have somewhere to put these, or some idea of where these
> machines might end up?
I was thinking these are to be treated as dead machines...
Some of us meet up somewhere - I've got a bit of room.
We build as many working machines as possible.
We take the scrap stuff to the tip.
What happens to the working machines? Freecycle them?
I hate throwing away stuff that works. However
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/20/citigroup-wonders-gear
may mean that this stuff is not worth fixin.
Tom te tom te tom