[LUG] upgrade and no sound

Hi
I've upgraded myself with no problems from Hardy to Intrepid and also my
Mother's PC. (had to re-install both times as the upgrade script did
have problems). Anyhow on Maters PC there is no sound.

This had been a problem in Hardy and I solved it, but am not sure how.
After downloading every codec I could identify and messing around with
the settings I did get sound, this time around it seems more tricky.

The PC appears to have two sound cards, ALC888 (nvidia) and C-Media
CMI8738. I have checked the modprobed drivers and all apears to be OK.
When I power up the PC there is a definite click and then hum from the
speakers, which indicates the sound may have initialized.

But after that nothing. No sound. I've installed gnome alsamixer and
fiddled with the settings, nothing.

Also with media, if I put a data dvd in the machine it is recognized,
but a media dvd also nothing.

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks
  Simon