Re: [LUG] ASUS Eee PC 1000

kevin wrote:
> My Daughter has just aquired a ASUS Eee PC 1000 from IT247
>
> It has the Xnadros Linux on it which works fine out the box but She is
> used to some apps which arn't in the repros Gtkpod Gimp Amsn
>
> Can you sugguest some more repros to put in the /etc/sources.list or
> even an alternative distro ?
> And of course how to get a new Distro on the Machine (no DVD drive )

Not sure with regards to sources.list (did Google give you anything?).
With regards to putting a new distro on it, I'd say you have a couple of
options...

A) Buy/beg/borrow/steal a USB CD/DVD drive (USB DVD writers are about
£30/£40).

B) Make a bootable USB pen drive.  Ubuntu 8.10 has a tool already in it
to do this and it can be done from the Desktop CD.  I'm sure it's
possible with other distos too either through a GUI tool or via the
command line (only tried the GUI tool myself).

C) Make a bootable SD card (again like the Pen drive option).  Not sure
if this would work, I'd assume you could use the SD as a boot drive?

D) Network boot an installer (Debian/Ubuntu etc)?

Rob