Re: [LUG] being scanned etc

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:29 +0000, Steph Foster wrote:
> Good point Kevin,
>
> If the offending scans came from a private IP addy like 192.168.x.x
> then its likely a hacker piggybacking your Wlan
>
> Steph
>

> 2008/11/3 Kevin Tunison <ktunison@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:39 PM, Simon WD Robert
> > <simon.robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I have had a number of warnings from my router. All the messages have
> >> the same format, a bunch TCP packets, all from the same IP (different IP
> >> for each warning message) followed by a UDP packet from a nother IP. Any
> >> ideas what's being attempted?
> >>
> >> I'm not particularly worried, I've run a port scan and everything is
> >> stealthed and unresponsive, but I'd like to know.
> >>
> >> Simon
> >> --
> >> info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> www.oldhouse-cottage.co.uk
> >>

> > The first thought that comes to mind is that may be an attempt to
> > exploit the fairly recent DNS vulnerabilities.  You could suss that by
> > the ports the packet are aimed at. Like Steph says, it is fairly
> > common.  I'm curious if this came in over wireless or the ISP network?

This is typical

TCP Packet - Source:4.79.142.206 Destination:81.141.50.1 - [PORT SCAN]

only one line today, yesterday was 10 lines and then  a UDP packet from
a different IP. I guess this is via the ISP. Wouldn't a wifi piggyback
be aimed at an internal address? 2 PC's are wired and 1 wifi'd, all have
IP's in the 10.0.x.x range and WPA2 encrytion. I did some scans on the
ports mentioned, but all appeared OK.

Simon