Re: [LUG] Plymouth & O2

Hi,

I work at UoP and have successfully connected to the wireless network there using my Ubuntu Laptop.

At UoP you have two ESSIDs that you can connect to, ROAMING or eduroam.
In both cases you need to have a University login and password (the same login used to access your University email account).

The ROAMING network is not encrypted but requires you to set up a VPN connection. In Linux this is done using the pptp client.

The eduroam network uses encryption and authentication , specifically WPA-EAP. This is supported by the Gnome Network Manager in Ubuntu.

There are instructions for connecting to the eduroam network that can be found on the University Intranet, unfortunately for Windows and Mac only... It should be possible to glean the necessary info for a Linux connection from these guides:
(note: you need a University Login to access these links)
http://intranet.plymouth.ac.uk/eduroam/
http://intranet.plymouth.ac.uk/computing/remote/

Hope this helps.

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 1:39 PM, William Fidell <william@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Kai Hendry wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> My sister is now attending the University of Plymouth. However she is
> having trouble connecting to the wireless from her Ubuntu Thinkpad T30.
>
> I don't know what's going on. She has upgraded Ubuntu at least 3 times
> and perhaps the bloatware that's the Gnome network manager has decided
> to fail unsurprisingly. She does say it works at work at home fine.
> Perhaps I wrote in a /etc/network/interfaces. I can't remember!
>
> So is there any LUG member at the University that could help her resolve
> the problem?
>
> I'm now based in Woking, Surrey. Argh...

Has she tried the UoP student support desk in Babbage?  A good friend of
mine works there and I do know that he did do some work trying to get
linux installs to work with the wireless networking there.  Afair,
Ubuntu was the only one he could get to work.

Sadly, I believe that he has moved on from that position but there maybe
somebody else there who can help.

--
Inocencio Maramba, MD, MSc
E-Health E-Learning Facilitator