Re: [LUG] External Hard Drives - any to avoid?

Simon Williams wrote:

> What sort of experience have people had with USB drives in Linux?

They have all "just worked" for me, but I don't have huge experience of
different brands.

Some flash devices required character set information to do the "right
thing" for music players and the like, but that is a FAT filesystem
thing and nothing to do with the drive.

Some grief with making some devices bootable, and some devices arrived
with multiple daft partitions and needed repartitioning to be sensible.

> What I really don't understand is the 500Gb Maxtor drive (which came as
> an external package rather than me shoving it in one) I bought for my
> server to make backups with. That often does strange things with large
> transfers as well, which isn't really inspiring.

Define strange things? Alas Tesco's cheap 500GB Maxtor's are sold out,
and the 1.5TB versions are in stock now but rather expensive.

> Anyone know if I'm just unlucky or are there genuine problems somewhere?

Never seen an issue. Are you sure you are unmounting it cleanly, not
just a write caching issue or some such?