Re: [LUG] Image formats?

Grant Sewell wrote:

> I have got my nice ol' SCSI scanner back up and running.  It is my
> intention to scan-in all receipts and documents relating to my work so
> I have electronic and physical copies (anyone else notice how the text
> on receipts, even when kept in the dark, seem to fade to almost nothing
> in a matter of weeks?).
>
> What would be your recommendation for a good image format to use?

I'd assume any well known raster image format that can support limited
colours would be good?

Most lossy compression formats are not good with text, so lossless if
disk space isn't an issue.

"png" is the obvious choice, although make sure you don't store more
colours than you need in terms of colours or greys. See the book for
more advice.

http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/book/

pngcrush is your friend.

On the other hand I'd be trying to figure out if and how long I really
need to keep them, and spend as little effort as possible on paper work
that no one ever refers back to.