Re: [LUG] Laptop Colour Depth x64 Intrepid

Kevin Tunison wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed Ubuntu Intrepid x64 the other day on my acer aspire5003wlmi
> amd turion.  The display, while it displays at say 16,000 colours -
> there is definitely something not right about it.  I I try to do
> anything with video or my digital photos, it's all like 256 colour. I've
> not had to really tweak around display options for many years, and so
> any pointers would be helpful.
>
> So far I've been to the ubuntu wiki testing group and applied their
> recommendations.  I think what I used to do was configure x and just
> startx instead of a display manager.  what else could I run to configure
> any possible drivers and such?
>
> lcpci returns:
>
> VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [Sis] 661/741/760
> PCI/AGP or 662/761Gx PCIE VGA Display Adapter
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/AcerAspire5003WLMi
>
> Nothing so far has really jumped out at me as a bug on the ubuntu site
> either... yet anyways.

Have you tried Ubuntu Hardy at all or even another distro?

Doing a bit of investigation, it appears Intel manufacture a motherboard
with this same SIS chipset.  You can download a driver for the SIS
chipset from Intel's site here:

http://tinyurl.com/2arxlb

Might not work but it's certainly worth a try.

Rob