Re: [LUG] PHP as opposed to C#

2008/10/14 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> However, in my experience the best place for 'WORK' - unless your writing
> highlevel maths - is within the DB itself and caching and good DB design are
> far more important than whatever poxy language you are using to access your
> information. I wrote a vb asp application for 300,000 products and 30,000
> customers and it was the db ( a seriously powerful multiprocessor setup) that
> slowed it down.

+1
in addition to efficiency I like to split the DB working out the data
and the script doing presentation (some times it blurs). I've found
you can do almost anything you want in SQL, often without resorting to
cursors. Of course some like to approach it with biz objects and the
like rather than a DB paradigm (e.g views).

--
Steve Lee
Open Source Assistive Technology Software and Accessibility