[LUG] Dishing out OpenOffice and Ubuntu was Re: Happy Birthday Linux - Linux is 17!

Paul Sutton wrote:

> With the added advantage that Openoffice runs on both, Openoffice 3.0
> should have better support for office 2007 file formats anyway,  as long
> as you show people how to save in office formats (not 2007 as not
> everyone has that),  then they can send stuff externally.
>
> If you are giving people ubuntu now, don't forget to follow up with a
> copy of 8.10 when its out. near the end of the month (hopefully)
>
> Paul

Yep, hopefully OpenOffice.org is going to be out on 13th October too.

I'm currently running OOo on a couple of machines at my client's place.
  One of their offices has Vista and Office 2007 and the other has
Windows XP and Office XP.  As you can imagine it's a nightmare for
compatibility.

Installing OOo 2.4.1 helped bridge the compatibility gap as it already
has OOXML importers (although not sure how good they work).

What I have been doing is setting the default save file type as Office
97 .doc/.xls/.ppt format so they don't have to badger me when saving a
file (some of them just forget to change the file type bless em).

Rob