Re: [LUG] open economic modelling

On Saturday 04 October 2008 21:42, Simon Waters wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> >>
> >> Silly question perhaps but modelling what?
> >
> > Er .. the Economy - money flow etc.
> > The sort of thing that, when you plug in cancelling the 10% tax band
> > would leave 2million out of pocket.
>
> UK tax detail, so a UK model?
>
> > The sort of thing that would say - oh house prices are collapsing so $200
> > trillion of leveraged 'capital' will evaporate.
>
> 200 trillion USD - hmm so a global model. I think they run one at Oxford
> Economics.
>
> > The sort of thing you would expect an olevel government to have so it
> > would get an idea of the effect of its economic policies - not 100%
> > accurate but like a short range weather forecast.
>
> "Short range" in weather forecasting is typically under 18 hours -
> usually these are very accurate because it is little more than
> extrapolation, plus developing a few thunderstorms.
>
> But a key point is that we understand the laws behind weather a lot
> better than the economy, and CO2 concentrations aside, we are fairly
> confident the laws that govern the weather don't change with time, and
> also fairly sure that the laws governing the economy change with
> technical progress.
I feel that here we have an opportunity to 'test' some 'theories'.
I've always liked the idea of an true internet 'bank'  - somewhere in the web
where you can organise transactions online, the charge being the minimum
currency unit. I reckon 1p per transaction would raise a lot of dosh for what
is essentially an afternoons coding and  a £2.99 p month web site and
simple db.
Or you could still pay your profit margin through paypal.....
Tom te tom te tom