> Thanks for the link - I get :
>
> BT Wholesale ADSL
> BT Wholesale ADSL Max
> O2 / Be LLU
> TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
> Tiscali LLU
> Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)
>
> Same using both methods.

Ahh so your local exchange doesn't support Sky then.  You could get free
broadband from Carphone Warehouse or broadband from O2.  O2 do up to 24
Meg broadband so you might possibly be able to get over 0.5MBit (O2 and
Be use ADSL2+ kit for their LLU service which provides up to 24Mbit
depending on line length and quality).

> The distance the exchange show 5273 metres and the speed ~0.5MBS - which
> is roughly what we get.

Ouch that's a long line!

> My neighbour, who is only another 30 metres downstream gets no ADSL, but
> Sky claim to be fitting what he describes as a 'booster' to his line to
> enable him to get 2 Mbs - sounds fishy to me but hey ...... it's being
> tested this week. If it works it might have to change.

Hmm, sounds a bit fishy.

This gives more information about ADSL, it seems that with ADSL Max you
can get from about 160Kbit/s.

Rob