Re: [LUG] Ubuntu in the 'real' world

Ray Smith wrote:
> Clare Shepherd wrote:
>> On 4 Sep 2008, at 07:58, Tom Potts wrote:
>>
>> I thought there were some valid points there, especially about forums
>> expectation of new folks' level of expertise. Thanks for the link.
>>
> I agree some valid points. It's a shame that if he didn't like the look
> of xandros he didn't just activate the advanced desktop feature which
> would have enabled him to use kde and a start menu like he was used to.
>
> Oops, hang on. that requires knowledge of how to do it.  Oh well.

I think it probably says more about the attitude of the reviewer.

It works fine but he dislikes the look of the icons, and can't use his
iPod, so he replaces everything with a CD from the front of a magazine
on the vague promise it'll be better. After some trouble he has better
looking icons, and can get his wireless working again.

He probably needs to do more research before he spends his cash in future.

On the other hand I suspect it says a lot about Ubuntu that it worked as
well as it did on random hardware. Having installed a lot of operating
systems, on a lot of hardware, it always works best when the OS is
designed and tested to work with every bit of hardware before you start.

Those who hope system integration will ever be completely painless live
in cloud cuckoo land, until the software can inspect new hardware figure
how it works, and reconfigure itself. Welcome to the HAL9000.