Re: [LUG] Google Chrome

2008/9/3 Tom Potts <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wednesday 03 September 2008 01:02, Jason Witcher wrote:
> I've just tried it and it is noticeably faster than Firefox (3.0.1) on the
> couple of sites I tried. I only use two extensions but one (Gmail Manager,
> ironically) I find almost indispensable,
> Jason
Check lots first - if you used FF first and then Chrome you will have resolved
the DNS for chrome which would make it look a lot faster.
Its an old trick but its fun - I used to show sysadmins that one doing IE
first and then FF. FF looked a thousand times faster and being MS trained
sysadmins they didn't have a clue.
Got a lot of FF installs tho.......

Tom te tom te tom
Seems to be the case going the other way too - I tried cnn.com (as I'm pretty sure I've never visited it and that it would be full of all sorts of rubbish so easy to time) - opened in Chrome first, then FF (having resolved the DNS with Chrome); both took about 9 seconds (and FF has Flashblock installed, without which it would have taken longer). So there's not much in it, but it is noticeable.
Jason
PS Pardon my ignorance, but what's 'lots'?