Re: [LUG] Web Content Management

On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 19:19 +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am supposed to have taken over management of my CU's website, but it
> all keeps blowing up in my face! Anyway, all the disasters aside, I
> still can't figure out which content management system to use. Can
> anyone point me in the direction of a guide to content management
> systems? Or even if something exists which will do what I want?
>
> I've tried a few and I always get stuck. It seems that most of the
> systems out there are based around the principle of a blog, which isn't
> really what I'm looking for. Notably, not one of them has provided a way
> for me to edit the front page in *any way* other than adding articles
> (usually as teasers). It really really needs to be more flexible than
> that. Especially with regard to me including my own PHP scripts, without
> having to mess about putting it into the CMS.
>       I would much prefer PHP to Java if possible, unless it will work
> without me having to mess with tomcat. As for storage of pages, I would
> actually prefer a situation where I can edit it with vim over ssh if I
> like, but still have a web interface for other people to use- though I'm
> guessing this idea is not really feasible.
>       As well as being flexible it has to be simple to edit pages. I want a
> really minimalistic clean interface (that goes for the code generation
> as well). I was attempting to use Joomla, but honestly I think it's a
> disaster- far too many options, and I kept ending up with duplicated
> titles and all sorts, which made it impossible for anyone else to edit
> it. The manager interface for Joomla looks like it should be simple and
> professional, but it really isn't.
>       I definitely think that pages should be organised using a folder
> hierarchy rather than this section/category system I keep finding, which
> really really doesn't work.
>       As for permissions/user management I've sortof resigned myself to the
> fact that I'm probably going to have to open it all up to everyone who
> will be editing anything, since none of the systems I have encountered
> are flexible enough to work for me.
>
> Maybe I'm going about this completely the wrong way?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Simon

Simon,

Me? I'm a fan of Drupal personally.  Fairly simple to use, pretty
modular (thus easy to deconstruct and put together how you like) pretty
useful mods and community support too!

The admin interfaces of all of them are fairly daunting, but I found
Drupal had the best community 'User-Manual' of the ones I looked at
(Joomla, Mambo, PHPNuke, Geeklog ad nauseam!)

Does all the user permission stuff for you and gives you a nice simple
tick-box interface for it.

Downside? Using the 6.0 version and having to update every couple of
months!  Only because I use a multi-site configuration and a number of
custom mods that I have to FTP to a safe place before updating!

I like it a lot!

Hope that's some help!

Adam