Re: [LUG] Disk Rates

Tom Potts wrote:
> I've got some ralatives coming to stay and we have to put them up in my
> computer room so I've tidied up a bit and found a few odds and ends including
> an 80G serial hard drive which I'd forgotton about.
> I think I bought it to put swap on but before I go messing does anyone know
> how to easily measure read/write speed of drives so I can ascertain whether
> the serial drive will actually be better for swap than the IDE?
> Tom te tom te tom

You could try hdparm -t /dev/sdX (where X is the letter of the device
name).  That'll give you read performance details.

I'd have thought that an SATA drive would give equal or greater speeds
to an IDE drive, assuming it's reasonably the same sort of model.  Of
course if the IDE drive has a larger cache and maybe a quicker seek time
etc it might work out quicker.

Rob