Re: [LUG] OT-Post Office Closures

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:43:11 +0100
John Hansen <whitover-1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello John,

> It would be interesting if members of this list could indicate how
> they are fighting the closures in their area.

Bishops Nympton have done several things;  Try to get 170 people on a
bus to South Molton.  A bus that only takes about 30 passengers.  Try
to get over 100 people into the Post Office in South Molton on a
Saturday morning, bringing the town to a stand-still.  Been to House of
Commons, and handed in a petition at No.10 Downing Street.

The way these closures are being done (staggering them over a period of
years) is obviously designed to make a co-ordinated response difficult,
if not impossible:  There's little chance, for example, of getting
people to go to London to lobby their MP if the closure is three years
away.  Now, if all the closures were to be slated for this year,
getting people motivated would be a lot easier.  And there's nothing
finer than seeing all MPs in the house being lobbied such that they
spill out onto the street.  They *hate* that.  Bringing their working
day to a stand-still.  To say noting of the security nightmare it
creates.

Something some people may not be aware of;  Even if you save your PO,
it simply means another one will shut.  If we save Bish Nym PO, North
Molton PO closes.

Why they chose to close Bish Nym, I can't really say;  It's one of the
few being closed(1) that actually makes a profit.

All this occurring ignoring the law that says that every household must
be no more than 3 miles from a Post Office.  Bloody criminal, it is...

(1)  The way that the PO states it is that it's not closing, but will
be subject to Outreach Service.  That is, the Postmaster gets a van,
which he then becomes responsible for the upkeep, and comes out to us
once, twice, maybe three times a week.  It won't be long before that
service is seen as non-profitable, and it ceases.

--
 Regards  _

Stained glass windows keep the cold outside
Religion - Public Image Ltd