Re: [LUG] External hard drive

Quoting Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> I have been asking around in the local computer shop about the best way
> to create backups. The recommendation is to use an external hard drive,
> connected via a USB port.
>
> I find that there are many available of various makes so I am asking for
> any advice and recommendations please. And any comments. Recently my
> hard drive died on me and had to be replaced. I had some backups, but
> not enough. I am trying to be better prepared next time.

I have a pair of Western Digital Passport 160Gb drives, which I find
really useful. Since my main drive is also 160Gb, I can just clone the
entire disk (which takes about 3 1/2 hours using dd). I switch backup
disk every week, so I have this week's backup and last week's backup,
and I've therefore lost at most one week's worth of data if things go
wrong. I also periodically back up important files to DVD for good
measure.

One thing I find useful about the WD drives is their low power
consumption: they can run entirely off the USB port. Some external
drives need additional power, which is just a pain. Also the WD drives
are really small: 5in x 3in x 0.5in, so you can fit them in your
pocket if you're on the move.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk