Re: [LUG] Beowulfed LTSP?

Grant Sewell wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Whilst watching a foundation degree student's presentation on their
> project - building a Linux beowulf cluster - the idea struck me... what
> a wonderful way to generate enough processing power for an LTSP server.
>
> I know there are some people on the list who have a bit of LTSP
> experience, so I was just wondering if (in their experience) a beowulf
> cluster would actually work well as an LTSP server?  If it were to
> work, it could even benefit from being configured as a COWs (Cluster of
> Workstation) - so the LTSP server cluster would also be able to pull
> processing power from the idle workstations connecting to it!
>
> It's late and I'm getting excited about this now... dammit, I'll never
> sleep!
>
> Cheers all.
> Grant.

Do you mean lots of lower spec clients all working as a beowulf cluster
whilst displaying the program output on the screen?

(Rather than having a dedicated LTSP server, the clients share the
donkey work?).

It's something I've looked into although I'm not sure how well normal
desktop applications work in a cluster.  IIRC a Mosix cluster would do
the job but it's now unsupported as machines have got so quick (which I
think is a poor excuse really as even though there are multiple core
machines out there, they don't half use a whole load of power).

Rob