Re: [LUG] Auto-mount NAS Drive

Julian Hall wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Hopefully this will be a simple one :)
>
> I have an 80Gb USB drive attached to a USB port on my router for NAS
> purposes.  This works fine in Winblows (ick) but the problems come in
> Linux.  I can only mount the drive as root.  When I start X as root I
> see the message 'reconnecting Network drives' as I'd expect and it comes
> up as mounted in /disks/H which is where I want it.  When I try to mount
> it as my normal user julian it says I don't have permission, which
> *should* be a piece of cake to fix.  I've checked the chmod and for all
> the drives it is drwxrwxrwx.  It is a FAT32 drive so there should be no
> issues with whether this flavour of Linux (Xandros 3.02) will RW to it.
>
> I *can* access the drive as a normal user, but it means ploughing
> through Windows Network -> TARTARUS -> ORACLE -> ARAGORN which is a pain
> in the bum.  It would be *much* nicer to have it automount under a
> shortcut as the other internal drives do.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Sounds to me like it's shared with Samba?

You should be able to modify your fstab and add the samba share, going
on memory it would be something like...

//server/share  /disks/H        smbfs
username=deviceusername,password=devicepassword 0       0

Can't remember if auto needs to be added.  You will need to install the
smbfs package (assuming you're running Debian/Ubuntu), not sure what
it's called in Fedora.

Hopefully this should give you something to go on anyway.

There's probably more elegant ways of doing it, but this is how I did it
on my kid's PC to mount shares on my server (from memory).

Rob