Re: [LUG] BBC iPlayer

trewornan wrote:
> I just saw an announcement on BBC1 suggesting that I
> go and view a programme broadcast earlier by using
> iPlayer. It occurs to me that as iPlayer is a
> commercial product this appears to be a breach of the
> BBC charter. Would Ofcom be the appropriate body to
> complain to?

> Yahoo! For Good helps you make a difference
>
> http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/forgood/

I am guessing this but as its a bbc product,  same way as they can
advertise books or videos / dvd's on bbc programmes,  they are
advertisng their own products,  which is different to advertising those
of a commercial company.

I remember when blue peter used to stick paper to cereal packets when
making stuff (this was done earlier) as to prevent the product name be
revealed,  even more important for kids programs, i would guess if kids
saw them using a pack of weetabix then that would be advertising.

Its hard these days,  you see advertising on match of the day,  so the
ads get shown, in fact you watch athletics, and the timer could be
produced by IBM or sieko, you can't avoid the  references to commercial
companies,

back in the 60'swhen football was shown live,  there was little or no
adversing,  so it was not really a problem, i think these days in a
world of comecials the idea of license fee,  is out dated,  and perhaps
its time they were funded commercially

if they were serious about non advertising,  they could use computers to
block out the ads on football side lines,  but what about the players,
teams now have spnsors,  so  they can't avoid the issue.

What about the news covering the launch of a new MS product,  (well
thats not too bad, as it usually scews up in some way), but is that not
advertising,  you can sometimes see a logo on the laptops,  surely thats
advertising,  if a apple laptop is good enough for news readers it must
be a good product,  perhaps I will buy it,   thats advertising,

Would make an interesting set of complaints, eh

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug