Re: [LUG] TomTom and linux

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 11:23 +0100, Kevin Lucas wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>    I have been asked by a recent convert to Linux if his TomTom will
> work on his Fedora C8 Gnome Desktop.
> I have no prior knowledge of Sat Nav. and can only see that the PC would
> just copy new updated maps to the gadget.
> Is there already a GUI to do this?

I was given a tomtom one for my birthday this month and wondered the
same. The device does indeed show up as a mass storage device under
Linux (and Windows). You can see the data in folders easily and I guess
could update them by plopping the right files in the right places.

I tried installing the tomtom home software (install exe on the device
itself) under WINE on Ubuntu and it installed fine. However as WINE
doesn't support USB, the helper applet fails to detect the device, so
whilst the app installs and starts, it's useless.

In the end I used an XP QEMU image and installed the software under
that. QEMU supports USB so it was fairly easy to get the tomtom
recognised in the virtual machine. I have done map updates and so on and
it seems to work fairly well.

Incidentally the tomtom home software is mostly comprised of a web based
system which uses xulrunner to do the browsy bits.

Cheers,
Al.