Re: [LUG] Servers

Richard Brown wrote:

> My questions are several as you can guess.
> 1. Is it possible to build a Linux server that can run windows server
> software and also act as a file server?

Yes. The first obvious solution I can think of would be to install some
VM software and install a full Windows machine virtually. I'm sure you
could also do it with Wine, but that might need more fiddling to get
various things working.

> 2. If not then what I will do is simply set-up a windows box and mount
> the drive to the workstations and use that for accessing the windows
> software. I have already ascertained that this will work. I will then
> need to build a Linux server with adequate backup. Should I go down
> the nas route again or would it be better to purpose build a server?

Because of 1) I'd go that route, and you'd then have a linux server
available to do various other tasks.

> The reason I ask is that these guys now want a constant backup system
> that can also be taken home. The backup to be able to switch over if

I'm not sure of the size of removable media nowadays, but you could
always use a hotswap sata caddy that they pop the hdd out of the server
at hometime. Cheap, big, easy to have several to allow tiers of backups.
Downside: Not that good when dropped/chucked. Heavy?