[LUG] TV viewing in Linux

Hi All,

I have a Winfast VC100 capture card and Xandros 3.02.  The card doesn't
have to actually 'capture' as the video source is my external DVR.  It
just needs to display the input coming from the DVR so I can *watch* TV
on the PC.

The card has a BT878 chipset, and the card number (for the bttv module)
is 114[1].  From what I have read, 'the kernel either needs
|videodev.o|, |bttv.o|, and |tuner.o| under |/lib/modules/2.x.x/misc|,
or [I] need to recompile the kernel with |CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV |and
|CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848 |enabled, preferably as loadable modules'.[2]

I don't seem to have the videodev.o, bttv.o or tuner.o, ||||and
|tuner.o| files where they are required so it looks like the kernel
doesn't have the relevant bits enabled., however running lsmod does show
bttv loaded with several other modules linked into it.

First question.  I'm not nailed to Xandros, so would it be recommended
to just change distro to a more recent one such as Ubuntu that does have
the kernel mods already enabled?

Secondly, I have a TV app called tvtime which runs, but shows a blue
screen.  When I click the option to change the video source nothing
happens, so I'm inclined to think that the source isn't coming from the
card due to the kernel issues and/or bttv not configured.  The default
source is apparently /dev/video0, but a quick look in /dev shows that
device doesn't exist.  Another clue to something having gone pear-shaped.

Any advice on where to proceed to get the card working would be
appreciated :)

Kind regards,

Julian

[1] http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/BTTV/cards.html