Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:00:14 +0000, David Bell wrote:
> Looking back in the archives it seems that fewer members are using SuSE,
> RH,
> Mandriva et al nowadays and have instead turned towards Debian and it's
> derivatives.  Discounting here (myself included) those who like to
flavour
> out of interest the various distro's, be they either deb or rh - if one
is
> lucky enough to have the spare time, box or partition.
>
> Personally I prefer to use Debian and have both Etch and Lenny installed.

> The
> former, updated and reserved for use in the event that Lenny falls over.
> So
> far it hasn't :)
>
> What interests me is why a majority of users seem to turn to the Debian
> derivatives in preference to Etch/Lenny?  I rule out ease of
installation,
> as
> the Debian installer is easy enough nowadays for a tyro to use.
>
> Enlightenment anyone?

I will use pretty much anything that's put infront of me.  I have Debian on
my server at home, I used to have Debian on my desktop at home and on my
laptop, however those are now Ubuntu machines.  I managed to fsckup the
Debian install on my laptop and I fancied trying this Ubuntu thing that
everyone kept talking about... so I gave it a shot.  To be honest, I
haven't changed back to Debian from Ubuntu because it *is* Debian.  Sure,
there's some more polish on it, but it doesn't seem so different to me to
warrant making the change back again.

I used to use Mandrake.  I used it tonnes.  I loved it, but it was a PITA
to keep "up to date", and in the end I gave up updating it using Mandrake's
tools and just compiled stuff from source... sometimes it didn't work,
mostly it did.  I tried SuSE a couple of times in the distant past and
didn't really enjoy the whole "YaST Experience" (and I still can't see why
people think it's the best thing since they invented the bread slicer).  I
haven't used RH in a long time, and I've not tried Fedora.

I think I'll be sticking with Debian and it's derivatives for a while yet -
keeping it up to date seems so much easier, however I have never really
used YUM in anger.

Grant.