Re: [LUG] Remove windows

On Sun, 2008-03-16 at 22:31 +0000, Simon Robert wrote:
> Having converted my mother from xp to ubuntu using the the ubuntu
> install disk which allows one to create a dual boot system I now find I
> no longer need xp at all.

That is excellent!

>  Is there an easy way  of reclaiming the xp
> partition without having to reinstall ubuntu? I've done a lot of work
> transfering things and installing drivers for printers, setting up
> crossover office etc which I'd have to repeat if I reinstalled.
>
> How can I delete the xp partition and give it to ubuntu?

Make an ext2 or ext3 filesystem in that space and mount it as a normal
partition. Creating the filesystem will reclaim all the space currently
used by XP. Depending on how much space you left for XP, you could mount
this partition as a new /home or as a completely separate directory. If
you use /home, you will need to copy the current /home across and move
the old /home to /oldhome (or something) before rebooting.

There is no point trying to combine the XP partition into the existing
Ubuntu partition - it will just be pointless aggravation.

Having a second partition available (maybe for backups or music or
photos) is a handy way of preserving data if you want to reinstall later
for whatever reason.

Make sure crossover office are not using any files from the existing
Windows partition - check that it is not currently mounted before
blitzing it to create an ext2 or ext3 partition.

--

Neil Williams