Re: [LUG] OT Specs for distros - RECYCLING

On Wednesday 12 March 2008 16:45, Steven Coté wrote:
..
> I've got an old PII 400 kicking around that I really ought to get rid of.
> So if they have a home for it, I'd like to give it to them.
Microsoft has caused many a good man to follow the wrong path.
While you would be certified if you tried to run XP Server on the above
machine it will work very well as a file/print/db server for Linux :
1) You dont need to run a gui for a Linux server so thats 90% of your CPU
saved.
2) Old machines are - perhaps nonintuitively - more reliable than modern ones
- its taken a while for them to build in reliable self destruction into PC
manufacture.
3) For file and print serving in linux it tends to be network/ram/disk io that
limit the performance of a file/print server. And for most naive DB setups
ditto.
4) It it does WOL then, as you can get a minimal linux to boot in a minute or
two, even better - however this will negate point 2 above.

I have a feeling the machine would still make a useful internet access machine
for someone who just wants e-mail and a bit of browsing but I'd be interested
to see how LTSP works in action - demo anyone?

Tom te tom te tom