Re: [LUG] quitting a job

You may find that doing so prompts you for software that's missing (neither
dpkg nor rpm do dependency checking... that's the job of apt and
yum/urpmi).  So use "apt-cache search" or "yum search" for the missing
software, then install with "apt-get install xxx" or "yum install xxxx".
Then try your dpkg/rpm command from above again.

I'd just like to add one thing to this. Yum will let you install an rpm that you have on your local system and still check the repository for any prerequisites.

yum localinstall xxx.rpm

I don't know if aptitude or apt-get has something similar, but I'd be surprised if it didn't.