Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

Julian Hall wrote:
> Kevin Lucas wrote:
>
>> B.T.W     BT when told he has a Linux PC says that "Linux is not able to
>> be installed on BT Broadband? Possibly not!
>>
> A lot of ISPs trot out this bull.  Normally because they want you to
> install their connection software and/or their USB driver which no doubt
> is replete with spyware to tell them what you are doing.  Curiously they
> never include a Linux version... I wonder why....
>
> It's sod all to do with technical ability of the OS and all to do with
> controlling your connection.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

In that case we need a list of Linux / free software ADSL / Internet
providers,  the wiki is there to be editied,  it seems under used as
does the whole website.

again if they are Linux friendly perhaps invite them to advertise on the
lug sute,   to help raise funds,   so we can go out and book  venues,
and have a steady pot of funds to book from,  or if we as a lug need to
say get a load of cd's pressed or ubuntu cd's ordered,  we have the
funds, there.

I am not sure how best to use the wiki,  i guess the wiki page could
hold a list of Linux friendly ISP,s or a link to one,  but again  it
needs to be in the right place,  and that won't happen unless we all
work together.

I will have a look,  see if something can be done with the start page,
we were meant to be working on.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug