Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools redux.

On Sunday 10 February 2008 17:48, Paul Sutton wrote:
> Do you need to be a teacher to teach something, if your knowledge is
> good enough and you can communicate that knowledge you can teach a subject,
I'm a bit weird but for me on the sciences side the 'Platonic' approach worked
- Plato thought that we knew everything and just needed help remembering.
For a lot of science you can walk people to a conclusion, paint them into a
corner even, but let them work out the conclusion for themselves. ie
Understand it.
 For your times tables rote is by far the best - we did up to the 12 times
table in my first year at a simple primary school. Not that much fun to learn
but these are facts that once learned are never forgotten.
As for languages don't ask me - I know the methods we used at school didn't
work for me - I learned more french in a fortnite in france than 6 years at
school.
But to teach requires the ability to communicate and without classroom
discipline the time available to communicate is seriously diminished.
You cant be a friend to 30 post pubescent kids and teach them.
Tom te tom te tom