Re: [LUG] ***SPAM*** Re: PC sharing

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 04:39:24PM +0000, Julian Hall wrote:
>> Henry Bremridge wrote:
>>> I would love to learn more about networking: in particular linking remote
>>> offices (eg work and home)
>>>
>>> --
>>> Henry
>>> Wed Jan 23 15:17:24 GMT 2008
>>>
>> Regrettably I'm in Wales.  I have a pretty good grip on networking (I'd
>> hope so having done ISP Tech Support for 6.5 years, 5 as a Senior ;)).
>> I've also had my own home network for a few years, and in the first
>> assignment I had in my current degree got a Distinction for my report on
>> how to secure a small scale corporate network.
>>
>> What sort of content would you be wanting to see?  As you mention
>> linking home and work I'm guessing VPN would be part of that?
>>

> My partner does quite a bit of office work at home and she is forever needing
> stuff from her home machine on her work machine and v/v. At the moment she either
> uses a usb stick or emails the files from one machine to another. Most seem
> inefficient.
>
> I have been suggesting putty and will sit her down as soon as I can and show her
> how it works but a networked connection would be much easier
>
> Home: Ubuntu 7.10
> Work: Some sort of Vista

You say her work machine, is this actually at her work place?  Does she
work for herself or an employer?

The thing about accessing things from home/work and vice versa, if it's
a company network they may have limits to what you can access.  For
instance, from a normal basic non-firewalled internet connection (for
instance, my dad's connection), I can VNC into my desktop, connect in
via SSH and also check my web mail on my home e-mail server.  I can also
VPN into my network too although I don't currently have that setup.

 From my workplace though I can only access the basic things like
webmail or send/receive files via FTP.  I can't connect into my home
network using VPN, VNC, SSH or anything like that as it's blocked by the
company firewall.  Unfortanately being a small fish in a big company
there isn't any way I'll be able to do this either (unless I get some
sort of mobile wireless internet access).

I do wonder though if maybe some sort of server with FTP access might be
an idea for your wife.  For instance, you could install an FTP server on
your Ubuntu box and pass the ports through to your router.  It should in
theory be possible to ftp stuff to and from the Ubuntu machine's home
drives (say your wife's home drive).

If the company she works for restricts FTP access then maybe it would be
possible to install some sort of basic web server on there (or Apache).
  I dare say there are simple PHP scripts out there for uploading and
downloading files via a web interface.  It could also probably be made
secure by using HTTPS.  I can't say I've looked into that yet though as
I don't usually need to send stuff between home and work and if I do, I
just use e-mail.

Rob