Re: [LUG] Official response on OpenSource in Devon

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 03:03:51PM +0000, Tony Sumner wrote:
> On Nov 19, 2007, james kilty was like:
>
> > I am about to write to various Cornwall Councillors on the matter. It
> > would be useful to have some parameters from you good folks to raise.
>
> My first thought was that the offer to 'consider' open source leaves
> it open for them to say 'we have considered OS but we have to put a
> high priority on security and reliability' and turn it down. We need
> to head them off.

1/ They are preparing a business case for the whole of the southwest: including
cornwall, and somerset, as such this review would I imagine already be underway

2/ Once the review is finished then subject to the limitations of the Freedom of
Information Act then it can be published. If there are loopholes / silly decisions
then those can be highlighted to the press as areas of a waste of money.

3/ I doubt we can head them off: I do believe that we can influence the review. The
key is to write to our local councillors / newspapers and state that

- There is a review of software being undertaken, with unknown terms of reference
- Bristol, Swedish Police, French Ministry of Finance, etc etc have all gone
Opensource and saved money. UK Government advice (Becta) also has shown that
considerable savings are possible
- That Devon is now also reviewing the software and hopefully will be coming with
areas where security, efficiency and cost can be improved.
- It would be appreciated if they could ensure that the council ensures that the
most cost-effective long term solution is implemented (I seem to recall that if
Councillors willfully waste money, they can be surcharged)

http://www.writetothem.com

4/ It would also help if all in the LUG asked (under the Freedom of Information Act)
their County Council what they are doing to implement opensource software and so cut
the bills and improve IT effectiveness. I think as much information should be
obtained:
-   what are the terms of the review
-   How will the review determine cost-effectiveness (see James's email)
-   are any systems being specifically excluded.
-   Asking for a copy of the review once finished
etc

5/ Finally the only other issue I can think of is to brief the press saying that DCC
is conducting a review to see where money can be saved and that other areas have
saved considerable money. Hopefully the DCC will reduce their IT bills.

5/ I might try under the Freedom Of Information Act to see what the Terms of
Reference for the review are in Devon. Will think about it a bit first.

--
Henry
Mon Nov 19 16:33:22 GMT 2007