Re: [LUG] F.A.S.T.

Quoting Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx>:
<snip>

> This is more proof we need a lug meet to promote this activity,  and try
> and encourage more people to use alternatives,   expecting people to
> jump into using Linux may be too much,  but perhaps getting people on to
> openoffice,  and others  and perhaps that talk on using exchange
> provides the incentive they need.

That will work for small businesses, it would be interesting to see
how many small businesses use pirate copies of software.  I think it's
more likely to be smaller companies as larger companies may have some
sort of licensing deal with Microsoft.

> what is then needed is access to a pool of people who have the related
> skills and who would be willing to help either as freelance or employed
> person within that company,  so the excuse of "can't get the skilled
> staff" is removed.

Easier said than done.  The Open Source Consortium lists companies who
are members of the OSC who cover Linux support in general.

> incedently what happened about the alternative to exchange meeting ? it
> all went quiet

I've yet to find out if we can use the board room at Plymouth Sound.

> I can set up a venue in Paignton because I live here,  there was talk a
> while back in totnes which included ideas on doing install / awareness
> days,  etc, this is still possible,  but the contacts / talks etc all
> need to be arranged.

Well the talk was mainly on reducing computing costs, both
environmentally and financially.  The talking about install days etc
was done in the kebab shop afterwards and things are happening slowly.

Rob