Re: [LUG] Microsoft muscles in on low-cost laptops

Julian Hall wrote:
> http://www.computershopper.co.uk/news/133241/microsoft-muscles-in-on-lowcost-laptops.html
>
> 'Microsoft is making stringent efforts to head-off Linux's early
> dominance of low-cost laptops by converting Windows XP to work on the
> low-powered machines.'
>
> Well it's hardly likely to be Vista now is it? ;)
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Julian

Nope, from my experiences of Vista, it takes a quick machine and makes
it run like a 286.

Take my mate's new PC for instance, HP machine with a dual core Athlon
64 3800+ (2GHz x 2) with 2GB Ram and a 320GB hard drive (so probably a
quickish drive).  It runs Vista and is bloody awful!  I'd say my 4 year
old Athlon 64 3000+ (single core, also 2GHz) with 1GB ram runs much quicker!

I wasn't sure if it was all the extra junk HP install (60 day trial of
Norton Internet Security) or the fact that it was downloading endless
updates (and failing) but it sure was awful.

I said to him after trying to install Firefox, ditch Vista and install
Linux.

Of course this is a 'family' machine which his parents also use so thats
out of the question until it the hard drive fails and it's out of
warranty or something along those lines.

Rob