Re: [LUG] Eee PC from RM

Neil Williams wrote:
> Hence there is ongoing work to improve things.

> The fault does not lie within the battery itself but within the
> software - specifically, the (usually proprietary) power management
> software. Work is ongoing to control how the kernel and the userspace
> applications cooperate to not waste CPU cycles and allow longer periods
> of time where the kernel is not constantly being woken up.

> It is only comparatively recently that other issues around laptops have
> been solved so that the software can now run on a device with limited
> power capacity.

> i.e. it's just a bug - and a common one at that. It is being dealt with
> as such.

> Expect gradual improvement, sometimes held back by applications with a
> slower update cycle.

This sounds very interesting. How much life do you think you could get
out of it, if all the software was written to be power-aware? Taking a
rough figure of 2 hours in the current situation you would need to at
least triple the life. Surely you aren't going to manage to get that
much out of it? I guess this also begs the question- are we wasting that
much power on our desktop systems?