Re: [LUG] OT: "Bloody' Microsoft - extra bbc article

On Saturday 27 October 2007 18:17, tom wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:
> > http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7063716.stm
> > on Microsoft in schools
> > points out the any machine that could run M$ has to be licensed -
> > so you give em a linux machine and M$ gets paid for it.
> > Tom te tom te tom
>
> I have to laugh (or is that cry ?) more than 5 years ago a small school
> in America said to Microsoft "I'm not signing that" and initiated the
> K12LTSP project ( "LTSP for schools).
>
> K12LTSP is now used in schools throughout the world (notably ones where
> legal ownership of MS products is out of reach).
>
> Why are we Brits so stupid, apathetic and lazy .... If Becta had got its
>   Arse in gear 5 years ago we would have an open source culture in
> schools and start to see a more clued up workforce potential, no far
> better to let American companies tie us up with extortionate leagalise
> and kill our own innovative workforce stone dead......
but you cant allow other countries  to innovate in order to   give the
illusion that US economics works - if we Brits were allowed to innovate then
we'd outstrip the US economy in weeks. Competition would destroy 'market
economics'.
The US have sent us all kinds of marketing and business management Gurus to
train us since WWII and now we have a management and entrepreneurial class
that couldn't shoot pork bellies in a barrel. Nice things like Quality
Management from Japan are taught by US Gurus and implemented by US taught
management teams and dont work here after that....

You get projects like K12LTSP because the US pushes its illusion of democracy
to a lower level - get people to argue over who runs their schools and who is
chief of police and let the big business run the rest of the country.
When, with the internet, small things can get surprisingly big this takes
certain 'democratic' models by surprise.
 The internet is almost by nature an economically, politically and
scientifically disruptive force.
There are many other forces at large that realise this and think its in their
best interests to keep us in the computing dark ages.
Tom te tom te tom

> Arrrgh ..... why do I bother.........
have THEY managed to disillusion another into innaction?