Re: [LUG] BBC IPlayer - A U-Turn ?

james kilty wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 08:36 +0100, Viv wrote:
>
>> It seems that now we will be getting access to BBC IPLayer if we want it
>> (by the end of the year) !

>> Does this mean that the "minority" MAC and Linux users are now numerous
>> enough that the big corporations are taking notice of us ?
>>

> Is not the "open standard" MPEG4? If so, this agreement is still
> pandering to the proprietary players. Surely the BBC could have insisted
> on ISO standards and the MSs and Adobes of the world would have to
> follow. Is Flash somehow better than MPEG4?

Hey we are getting there slowly,  its a case of keeping up the
pressure,   use the services,  but complain like hell when they don't
work, (as in my case)

Ok flash does not work properly this raises accessibility issues for
their sites,  which somewhere is a legal minefield as their site has to
be for some people,  I am not sure if your nice flash site, optimied
with all these nice access for the disabled, fails to work because of
flash,  if that is a breach of your duty to make your site accessibly to
all,

I assume that Mpeg4 support is built into the average Linux distro,  in
which case,  that argument is stronger, as you can tell them your system
supports open standards.

Paul